Welcome to our Touch Lab at IIT Madras! This is also known as Haptics lab. Explore the wondrous world of touch – both sensory and motor action.
Virtual Reality or VR uses a computer or computer-aided technology to simulate an environment for the individual. Unlike the older form of interfaces such as TV or mouse control, VR places the user inside an experience. Instead of getting visual feedback from a single direction, the user will receive visual, audio and haptic feedback from multiple directions. The only limitation to a near-real VR experience is the hardware expense as well as the computational powers required for the experience.
Our research works with respect to VR are classified under three broad areas:
- Innovative Haptic feedback in VR
- VR based medical and training simulations
- Computer vision based applications in VR
We also offer a course in our institute called Virtual Reality Engineering (AM5011), in which we learn a brief overview on VR and its various subcategories. It is offered every fall semester.
Consortium for AR/VR Engineering (CAVE).
In our definition, haptics is pertaining to the sensing and manipulation using touch between human and machine, machine and machine, or human and human in a virtual, teleoperated, or even real environments.
Branches of Haptics:
Haptics is an interdisciplinary research field. We define haptics as — the study of sensing and manipulation through touch. We use a variety of methods to look for the general principles that we use to explore, represent, and interact with objects. We not only study how humans explore and interact with objects, but also how machines do so.
The Touch Lab at IIT Madras came into existence in June 2005. The goals of our research are to :
- Understand human haptics
- Develop machine haptics
- Enhance human-machine interactions
The interactions can not-only between human and machines in real space, but also in virtual reality and teleoperator systems.
To gain a deeper understanding of human haptics, multidisciplinary investigations involving skin biomechanics, neurophysiology, psychophysics, motor control, and computational models are employed.
The research works in this laboratory with respect to Haptics are classified into three broad areas :
- Human Haptics – to understand human haptics mechanisms
- Machine Haptics, – to develop machines for haptics feedback
- Computer Haptics – to enhance human-machine interactions
Some of the research works in each of this area carried out in our lab are listed here:
- Three Radial Artery Pulse Sensor Design for Siddha Based Disease Diagnosis [link]
- Correlation between Two Point Discrimination with other measures of Sensory loss in Diabetic Mellitus Patients [link]
- Comparison of Law of mobility in Upper and Lower Extremities of Diabetic patients [link]
- A Study of Foot and Ankle Joint Mobility among Diabetic Subjects[link]
- Automation of Monitoring Hypnotic Analgesia [link]
- Combat Tactile Jacket [link]
- Hybrid 1DOF Haptic Device [link]
- DC motor damping: A Strategy to increase Passive Stiffness of Haptic Devices [link]
- Haptic Guided Laparoscopic Simulation [link]
- Catheter Insertion Simulator [link]
- Virtual Tissue Cutting [link]
Open PhD Positions
Touchlab is looking for students with an interest in Virtual Reality and Haptics. Students with a Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in electrical/electronics engineering, computer science, mechanical engineering, system and control, mathematics or physics with a strong interest in systems theory are welcome. Interested students should apply by sending an email to me along with a CV.
We are also actively looking for students exceptionally good at embedded programming. Anybody with experience in and having a passion for micro-controller programming, robotics, and practical electronics is welcome to apply to our group by sending an email to me along with a CV.
- A Simple Catheter Insertion Simulation [Report]
- Our Hybrid Haptic Device [Paper]
- Tangible Images [Communicated Paper]
- Combat Tactile Jacket [Paper]
- Laparoscopic Simulator with Haptic Guidance. [M.Tech Thesis]
- Voxel Features [PhD Thesis Abstract]
- Merkel Haptic Systems
- Ariano Instruments
- Abhipsta Technologies
- UDYAM Labs LLP
Spin-off Research Foundation:
- IoE-CoE on Virtual Reality and Haptics
- Varma Research Foundation
- Consortium for AR/VR Engineering Mission in India (CAVE)
Upcoming conference on VR – Link
Virtual Reality, Haptics, Medical Simulation for Training, Immersion, Presence, HMD, Interactive VR, Head Tracking, AR, XR, Mixed Reality, VR Engineering.
- Dr. M. Manivannan, IIT Madras, Coordinator of the Laboratory
- Dr.M.A.Srinivasan, VAJRA Faculty IIT Madras; Professor of Computer Science, UCL London, UK; Founder of MIT Touchlab, Cambridge, USA.
- Dr.Venkatraman Sadanand, Neurosurgeon, Loma Linda Medical Center, California (resume)
- Dr.Abhijit Biswas, IISc Bengaluru
Ph. D. Scholars
Arjunan,joined in 2015 (Endonasal Surgical Training Simulator), Prime Minister Fellow, Jointly with Dr.Ashish Suri, Neurosurgeon AIIMS New Delhi.
- Rahul Kumar Ray, joined in 2017 (Electro Tactile Displays)
- A. Abinaya, joined in 2017 (Laparoscopy Surgical Training Simulator), Jointly with Dr.Ravikumar, President of AIIMS Mangalagiri.
P. Balaji,joined in 2018 (Virtual Reality Based Rehabilitation)
- Anindita Kesh, joined in 2019 (Heat Measurement), Jointly with Dr.Deepak, AIIMS New Delhi, Dr.Arun Tangirala, Department of Chemical Engineering, IITM.
- Debadutta Subudhi, joined in 2017 (Pressure Points and Physiology), Jointly with Dr.Deepak, AIIMS New Delhi
- Prasanna Routray, 2020 onwards, Whisker Based Robotics Navigation, Jointly with Dr.Steve Lavalle, UIUC/OULU
- ROHIT K, 2021 onwards
- Mridula T.V. 2022 onwards,
- Vimal Chander M., 2022 onwards,
- Dipdisha Bose, 2022 onwards towards fNIR device and brain computer interface
M. S. Scholars
- Venkatesan RK, 2019 Onwards, Mid-air Haptics Haptic Devices
- Deepthy Jose 2020 onwards, Simulator training for Targeted Echocardiogram in neonates and Amniocentesis
- Jay Bhanushali, 2020 onwards, 360 Deg Video in VR
- Lokeshwaran S, 2020 onwards, Emotions Sensing in VR, Monitoring and Haptics
- Aditya Kanade 2020 onwards,
- Pranav Deshpande 2021 onwards, MEMS based Flexible force sensors
- Sangeetha B. 2021 onwards,
- Mathioli A. 2021 onwards.
- Manali Jain 2022 onwards,
Alumni of Touch Lab
Ph. D. Scholars
- Dr.Madhan Kumar, 2017-2021 (Pacinian Corpuscles Modelling), UCL
- Ravali Gourishetti, 2014-2019 (Needle Insertion Simulation), Post Doc at Max-Plank
- Abhijit Biswas 2010-2015 (Medical Robotics and Haptics), Postdoc at MIT, and Faculty at IISc Bangalore
- K.Hemalatha, 2007-2011 (Hybrid Cardiopulmonary Interaction Model Towards Novel Diagnostic Techniques), Faculty and Dean in a Private College
Yacin, 2007-2011 (Noninvasive Measurement of Gastric Motility from Finger Photoplethysmographic Signal) Jointly with Dr. Srivas Chakravarthy of Department of Biotechnology, IIT Madras.
Faculty in a Government College in Middle East
- L.Suganthi (Human Arterial System Modeling), Faculty in a Private College
- K.S.Kanakapriya (Simulation of Myocardial Infarction for Training Doctors using Mannequin), Yet to submit thesis.
- Susmita Wills (Measurement of Forces in Laparoscopic Surgery) (Jointly with Dr. Suresh Devasahayam), Faculty in a Government College
- Majid Hameed (Dual-rate Haptics Rendering) (Jointly with Dr. Subir Kumar Saha), Faculty in a Government College
- M.S.Raghuprasad (Virtual Reality based Laparoscopy Simulator with Haptics Feedback), GE Bengaluru
- Nissan Kunju (Lower Extremity-FES assisted Wheelchair Transfer in Paraplegics) (Jointly with Dr. Suresh Devasahayam), Faculty in a Government College
- Joseph H. R. Isaac, joined in 2015 (Fast Hand Detection and Pose Estimation Utilising Human Hand Biomechanics), Jointly with Dr.B.Ravindran, Computer Science Department
M. S. Scholars
- Alka John, 2014-2017 (Simulation of CPR)
- Varun Durai, Graduated in 2019 (Study of Visual-Audio-Haptic Feedback in a Novel Immersive Virtual Reality Based CPR Simulator)
- Hari Vasudevan, 2005-2007, Graduated in Jul 2008, Yale University, Mechanical Engineering, Apple Inc.,
- G.Deepthy, Solutions for enhancing collaborations among key stakeholders of biomedical equipments industry, MS (Entreprenurship) Thesis, Department of Management Sciences, Jun 2010 Department of Management Studies
- Rishabh S, 2020-22, Whisker Based Robotic Navigation
- Subhankar Karmakar, 2019-22, Thermal Illusions
- Jagan, KB, 2019-22, Jagan predominanty worked on Tactile feedback through electrovibration.
M. Tech. and Dual Degree Students
- Bachala Srikanth, Sense of Embodiment of Ramanujam in Virtual Reality, Department of EE, DD Thesis, 2020, Jointly with Prof. Kaushik Mitra of Electrical Engineering
- Ashish Mashakar, Neurosurgical Planning Using the Virtual Reality, Department of Applied Mechanics, MTech Thesis, 2020, Jointly with Dr.Venkat Sadanand, Neurosurgeon and Adjunct Faculty in Biomedical Engineering Group.
- Pawar Kalpesh Sharad, Kinematics And Path Planning Algorithm DesignFor A General Surgical Serial Manipulator With Virtual RCM, Department of Mechanical Engineering, DD Thesis, 2020
- Neil Patil, Kinematics And Path Planning Algorithm Design For A General Surgical Serial Manipulator With Virtual RCM, Department of Mechanical Engineering, DD Thesis, 2020
- N.V.SAI KIRAN, SIMULATION OF A SERIAL MANIPULATOR FOR SURGICAL TASKS USING AN OPEN SOURCE ROBOTIC FRAMEWORK, Clinical Engineering Programme, M.Tech Thesis, 2020
- Md Umarfaruque, Fire Safety Training in Virtual Reality, DD Thesis
- Sasivarnan, Drift Based Haptic Device Workspace Expansion For Large Virtual Environments, DD Thesis
- Y.Jayanth Raj, Treating Phobias in Virtual Environement, DD Thesis
- Dodda Sowmith Kumar, Treating OCD in Virtual Environment, DD Thesis
- Neelesh Kumar, Mechanics of Weight and Stiffness Perception in Virtual Environment, DD Thesis
- Soham Samanta, AFFORDABLE IR BASED REALTIME VEIN DETECTION, M.Tech Thesis in Clinical Engineering
- Manoj Sahu, Diabetic Neuropathy Detection Using VPT Analysis, M.Tech Thesis in Clinical Engineering
- Thamizhselvam, Automated fetal biometric measurements using 2D ultrasound images, M.Tech Thesis, Clinical Engineering
- Payal Patel, Magnetic Nanoparticles based tactile array for VR, MTech Thesis
- Karthik Bose, VR Based Rehabilitation with fNIRS, MTech Thesis
- Tarun Kumar Y, DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT OF A MEDICAL SIMULATOR FOR CATHETER INSERTION, DD Thesis. Co-Guide: Dr.Shakar Ram, ED, IIT Madras.
- Mashal PK, VR Based Rehabilitation, Clinical Engineering Masters Thesis, 2017.
- VARRI NAGASOWJANYA, Design and Development of Assistive Device for Surgeons in Measuring Suture Tension, DD Thesis, Jointly with Prof. Palaniappan Ramu of Engineering Design. 2017
- Karthik Kathula, Virtual Reality Based First Aid training for Cardiovascular Diseases, Dual Degree Thesis, Department of Electrical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, 2017.
- Siddhant Keshkar, Virtual Reality Based First Aid training for Cardiovascular Diseases, Dual Degree Thesis, Department of Electrical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, 2017.
- AAyush Maloo, Measuring Human Body-Type – Towards Personalized Medicine, Dual Degree Thesis, Department of Engineering Design, 2017.
- Arul Praveen, Measuring Pressure Profile along Radial Artery, Dual Degree Thesis, Department of Biotechnology, 2017.
- BURLE CHANDRA SEKHAR, AED (Automated External Defibrillator) Simulation and Training in Virtual Reality with Haptic Feedback, M.Tech Thesis, Clinical Enginering Program, 2016. Co-Guide: Dr.Kishore, CMC Vellore.
- YANAMALA VIJAY RAJ, CLASSIFICATION OF FUNCTIONAL NEAR INFRARED SPECTROSCOPY SIGNALS TOWARDS BRAIN COMPUTER INTERFACE IMPLEMENTATION, M.Tech Thesis, Clinical Enginering Program, 2016. Co-Guide: Dr.Keshavdas, Sree Chitra Thirunal Institute of Medical Sciences and Technology, Trivandram.
- PRASAD ARUN NATEKAR, Affordable Immersive Virtual Reality based pre-surgical planning tool for Neurosurgery, M.Tech Thesis, Clinical Engineering Program, 2015.
- SUSHOVAN PRAMANIK, IMMERSIVE VIRTUAL REALITY BASED CPR TRAINING SYSTEM, M.Tech Thesis, Clinical Engineering Program, 2015.
- Akshay Bhagwan Pawar, Noninvasive Wellness Monitoring Technique from Photoplythesmographic (PPG) Signals, M.Tech. Thesis, Department of Applied Mechanics, 2016.
- RAHUL SONI, Breath Rate Variability (BRV) – A novel measure to study the meditation effects, M.Tech. Thesis, Department of Applied Mechanics, 2016.
- ASHOK KUMAR, Simulating Pseudo-Haptic Feedback for Spring Stiffness using Computer-Mouse as Passive Input Device, Dual-Degree Thesis, Department of Aerospace and Applied Mechanics, 2016.
- S.Kaushik, DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT OF TACTILE PATTERNS USING A WEARABLE JACKET WITH 32 ACTUATORS, 2014, Dual Degree Thesis, Department of Electical Engineering.
- RAVALI RUPAA AMBA, VARIATION OF ELECTRODERMAL ACTIVITY ACROSS HUMAN FINGERS – TOWARDS A NOVEL DIAGNOSTIC TECHNIQUE, 2014, Dual Degree Thesis, Department of Electrical Engineering and Applied Mechanics.
- Damini Gandham, Force Based Fitts Law of Human Motor Perception, Dual-Degree Thesis, Department of Aerospace and Applied Mechanics, 2014.
- Sanjay Patel, Design and Development of Endoscopic Simulator, Dual-Degree Thesis, Department of Engineering Design, 2014. Co-Guide: Dr.Shakar Ram, ED, IIT Madras.
- Suryakant Singh, MANNEQUIN BASED MEDICAL TRAINING SIMULATOR FOR POST OPERATIVE CARDIAC CARE: PULSE AND CAPACITIVE PROXIMITY/TOUCH MODULES, M.Tech Thesis, Clinical Engineering Program, 2014.
- Pradeep Jaswani, Mannequin Based Medical Training Simulator For Post Operative Cardiac Care: Client-server Based Cadiovascular System Simulation, M.Tech Thesis, Clinical Engineering Program, 2014.
- Ratnasri, K., Mannequin Based Medical Training Simulator For Post Operative Cardiac Care: Blood Pressure and Bubble Detector Modules, M.Tech Thesis, Clinical Engineering Program, 2014.
- Arvind Kumar Prajapati, Projected Capacitive Technology Based ECG Chest Leads Placement Training Module, Clinical Engineering Program 2013.
- Deepika Roy, Automatic External Defibrillator Training Module Based On Capacitive Touch Sensors, Clinical Engineering Program 2013.
- Time Series Analysis Based Diagnostic Techniques For Takayasu’s Arteritis, Dipanjan Chatterjee, Dual-Degree, Department of Electrical Engineering and Applied Mechanis, 2012
- Sunny Purswani, Design, Optimization & Validation Of A Force Based Tactile Interface, , Dual-Degree, Department of Aerospace Engineering, and Applied Mechanics, 2012
- Gurpreet Singh, Drowsiness Detection System For Pilots, , M.Tech, Department of Applied Mechanics, 2012
- Techniques For Velocity Estimation: Improvement And Implementation Using A Field Programmable Gate Array, Mitesh Khadgi, Dual Degree Thesis, Department of Electrical Engineering, Jun 2011.
- Viswajith S, Mathematical Modelling of Physiological Control Systems, M.Tech. Thesis, Department of Applied Mechanics, IIT Madras, May 2010.
- Jagbir Singh, Development of Bio-impedance method for monitoring tissue engineering constructs, M.Tech. Thesis, Clinical Engineering, IIT Madras, 2010, guided along with Dr.Niranjan Khambete of Sree Chitra Thirunal Institute for Medical Sciences.
- V.Janani, Movement artefact free impedance pneumography, M.Tech. Thesis, Clinical Engineering, IIT Madras 2010, guided along with Dr.Niranjan Khambete of Sree Chitra Thirunal Institute for Medical Sciences.
- Mandali Alekya, A Pilot Study On the Changes In Short-term Heart Rate Variability Parameters in Type-II Diabetic Patients, Clinical Engineering, IIT Madras 2010, guided along with Dr.SureshDevasahayam and Dr.Elizabeth Tharion of Chnristian Medical College, Vellore.
- L.V.Chaitanya Srinivas, A Cardio-Vascular Simulation Software for Trauma Care Training Manikin, M.Tech. Thesis, Department of Applied Mechanics, 2009.
- P.Muthu, Torniquet Pressure Sensing for First Aid Training, M.Tech. Thesis, Department of Applied Mechanics, 2009.
- Marco Martin, Design of Pulse Simulation for Trauma Care Simulator, M.Tech Thesis, Department of Applied Mechanics, IITM and EPFL, Switzerland, Feb 2008.
- Rajasekar.S., Virtual Tissue Cutting Simulation, M.Tech Thesis, Department of Applied Mechanics, IITM, May 2008.
- Lt Col Sathaye Chandrashekhar Shamsunder, Laparoscopic Part-Task Trainer, M.Tech Thesis, Department of Applied Mechanics, 2007.
- R.Periyasamy, Improved Measure of Sensitivity in Diabetic Patients, M.Tech Thesis, Department of Applied Mechanics, 2007.
- Shimi Lawrence, A study of foot and Angle Joint Mobility among Diabetic Subjects, M.Tech Thesis, Department of Applied Mechanics, 2007.
- Deivanayaki, S., Spectral Analysis of EEG Signal during hypnosis, M.Tech. Thesis, Department of Applied Mechanics, 2006.
- Mahesh,S., Analysis of three pulses from the wrist for classifying ayurvedic body type using PVDF sensors, M.Tech. Thesis, Dept. of Applied Mechanics, 2006. (Thanks to Prof.M.S.Sivakumar for providing PVDF materials used in this project.)
- Major Rajpal Singh Mann, Combat Tactile Jacket,, M.Tech. Thesis, Department of Applied Mechanics, 2006.
GSR Analysis during hypnosis, Shankar, K., M.Tech. Thesis, Department of Applied Mechanics, 2006.
- Shankar, K., GSR Analysis during hypnosis, S M.Tech. Thesis, Department of Applied Mechanics, 2006.
- Ashwath A, DEVELOPING A VIABLE ACTUATOR FOR JOINT HAPTIC REHABILITATION, BTech Thesis, Department of Mechanical Engineering, 2020
- Aravind S, Probe Position Estimation from Ultrasound Images, B.Tech, Electrical Engineering, Jointly with Prof. Kaushik Mitra of Electrical Engineering
- Ayyalasomayajula Varun Kumar, Tracking Biomedical Equipment in Virtual Reality, BTech Thesis in Electrical Engineering, Jointly with Prof. Kaushik Mitra of Electrical Engineering
- Ashfakh Rithu, Tracking Biomedical Equipment in Virtual Reality, BTech Thesis in Electrical Engineering, Jointly with Prof. Kaushik Mitra of Electrical Engineering
- Varun N Gupta, A method to expand Workspace of Phantom Omni Haptic Device, B.Tech, Mechanical Engineering, Jointly with Dr. Sourav Rakshit, Mechanical Engineering, IIT Madras
Fill in the form below to contact us
Maps and Direction:
Mechanical Science Block, Room 203, Alumni Avenue, IIT Madras, Chennai 600036